Traditionally the fashion industry hasn't done a great job at looking after people or planet and we think it's time to change that. We also believe that single use plastics shouldn’t be thrown into landfill or drift into our oceans, we think they're much better off being recycled into clothes. Simple as that.

our fabrics are sustainably made

By using fabrics that are made from recycled plastic bottles to create our collections, not only are we saving plastics from oceans and landfill, we're also using less energy and water compared to creating conventional synthetic fabrics. 

how do we recycle plastic bottles into fabric? 

It sounds pretty crazy when you first think about it, but to put it simply, we're simply changing the raw material, instead of using oil to create polyester (like conventional poly),  we're using a waste that we have excess of. After sorting, sterilising, melting and crafting a new material, we're creating one that is not only more sustainable, but one that is also breathable, sweat wicking and durable.


what does recycled fabric feels like?

It's not sweaty, not stiff or crunchy and to put plainly is nothing like what you'd expect. It's soft, silky and breathable. It's comfortable and durable and simply looks and feels just like regular fabric.

how much is recycled?

Our activewear fabric is 73% recycled, with the other 27% being elastane (needed for the stretch component). Our tech jacket fabric is 48% recycled, which we're aiming to increase this to 100% recycled, but as a small business unfortunately this isn't possible right now due to our small scale and small order size, but we can't wait to increase this as we grow. 

meet our makers

We only work with makers who we've personally met and are so proud to work with the talented makers who make Team Timbuktu.

Use recycled fabrics and creating technical products makes our supply chain a little complex, but we think it's worth the effort.

Our organic cotton mill and manufacturer is located in Tiruppur, India and is outstanding for their policies for their employees, in addition to free training programs if they wish to upskill and lunch provided every day.

Our activewear manufacturer is in Xiamen, China and is a small factory with strict (and fair) working conditions to ensure there is no underage labour, wages are above minimum and leave is paid. 

Our tech jacket fabric is made in Taiwan and our tech jacket garment manufacturer is based in Xiamen, China. They're a larger factory and follow the Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI), meaning they're audited by a third party to ensure they comply to local laws and we receive a detailed report with information about their compliance and working conditions.

We visit our garment manufacturers every year (in addition to skype-ing them every other week) to check in and ensure we're supporting happy, healthy and safe workplaces.


our community is our core

Team Timbuktu has its roots in the community. We launched in June 2018 after a crowdfunding campaign to fund the debut collection, meaning we’re literally built on the shoulders of a supportive, invested community of world-changers.

There's a change happening, with consumers wanting the industry to become more transparent, they want to know who made their clothes, under what conditions and what are they made from. And we think that's fair enough. Because we know there doesn't need to be a compromise on the health of people or planet when choosing what clothes to wear.  

Our community is part of that movement. By choosing to invest in sustainable brands, they’re changing the fashion industry.


 the icing on the cake...

We sweat the small stuff here.

Not only are we using fabrics that are made more sustainably, we've eliminated the majority of single use plastics within our supply chain. It's standard practice for every garment sent from a factory to be individually packaged in single use plastic, and then sent from the warehouse out to you wrapped in more plastic.

Instead we use home compostable garment and mailing bags. We've eliminated the majority of our single use plastics (each year we use a handful of plastic bags, as opposed to the thousands that would be standard for a business our size) and use epic bags that are made from corn starch and are biodegradable in your very own home compost. Neat huh?

We always use recycled paper wherever possible, such as with our thank you cards. Less energy to produce, no new trees chopped down. Win-win.

As humans and as a small business we admit we're not perfect, but we think it's important to take sustainable steps where we can and are always trying to find more ways we can reduce our impact.